knowledge', 'learning' and ‘information

knowledge Learning 'and' information!



preparing for Sundays group session I thought I would research and reflect on what Knowledge, Learning and Information means to me and how it is reflected in my professional practice. 




Knowledge Defined by the Oxford dictionary as “Facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject " 


Thomas Jefferson used the phrase “Knowledge is power” and I personally believe in this! 

During my professional practice I bring my knowledge to the studio not only a technical vocabulary but also the knowledge gained through experience of working with different choreographers. 

For example during a creative period for a new production the choreographer can really channel into the knowledge of experienced artists and collaborate on delivering their vision. 


Learning defined by the Oxford dictionary as "Knowledge acquired through study, experience, or being taught" 

Learning to me is essential! it gives us the ability to grow and develop our skills and enhance our art form. During my professional practice the term learning I believe can be categorised into the phrase “open mind” many times working with choreographers they want you to enter the studio with an “open mind” and a willingness to learn. 

As you enter into a new commissioned creation you bring with you your knowledge but most importantly you have the willingness to learn and broaden your horizons. 

As Artists we are constantly learning and developing our craft. 

Learning for me is a daily skill that will never stop. 


Information defined by the Oxford dictionary as “facts or details about someone or something” 

 Today I have been reflecting on how information affects my practice and at what source is the information supplied. As an artist entering the studio I believe it is my responsibility to have read all of the available information provided by the management team   i.e. timetables, castings, maintenance and health and safety. I do believe I need to seek beyond this to be able to execute a good practice. I feel it is my responsibility to seek information and to allocate the time in my day to do this. For me I believe information is taking responsibility for myself and my practice. 


I am looking forward to gaining a richer understanding of Knowledge, Learning and Information from Sundays group session! 


See you then 

Comments

  1. Hello Christina. I found what you said about information interesting having not thought of it as timetables, casting and physical maintance, almost like the nuts and bolts. I see where you need to be informed to do this. The information then helps you to make choices. You take in the information , compare and reflect on your internal experience and then make choices . Information does not always lead to deep learning or knowledge. With your words, I had a very vivid experience . The information stage is rather bland, while the learning stage is robust, active,non-linear and energetic, the knowledge is grounded, weighted, spreading wider as more is obtained. Of course this is my personal reflection at this moment. Soon to shift I am sure. Thank you for the visuals. Laurie Cawley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts